10 Ways to Decorate for Non-Crafty Teachers

WARNING: If you are looking for pictures of a Pinterest-worthy classroom, this post is not for you.

I felt intimidated when it came to decorating my classroom.

I am not artistic. I don't like spending money on crafts. I have collected more pinterest fails than successes.

At the same time, I felt my students deserved a classroom with life and color.

Now, there's nothing wrong with spending lots of time and money making your classroom look like it came straight out of a magazine. I'm just inept in such arts. So instead, I tried to find decorations that gave my room a unique flare.

The following decorations, though not necessarily (*cough* remotely) "cute," really worked for me and warmed up my classroom environment. Feel free to borrow away!

1. About Me Section



I taped up my "about me" section right behind my desk. Kids loved looking at it and getting to know more about me, my family, and my interests. There is a significant lack of cuteness and a general air of DGAF in this decoration--but the kids didn't care.

2. Memes!


Memes are an entertaining way to get some of your classroom expectations across, or just to throw out some lame grammar humor. There are a TON of ELA memes online. Heck, make a meme wall, or a meme board. Super easy to update throughout the year--just print a new one out and smack it up with tape. No artistic ability required.

3. Famous Writers


I liked this decoration because it familiarized students with some of the big names in literature, like Mark Twain and Jane Austen. Underneath each picture are fun facts about each author. Plus, it's fun to play on the fact that I'm a super nerd and consider dead people my friends ;)

4. Word Wall


This picture comes from Ashley's blog here: http://bsbooklove.blogspot.com/2015/05/how-and-why-to-use-word-walls-with.html

I have never actually done a word wall, but I plan to in the future. The prep required looks right up my alley ;) Essentially, students add words that they have never heard of to wall when they come across said words during independent reading. Ashley does some more involved games with her word wall, and you'll have to follow the link to read about those!

5. 6 Word Memoirs/Student Pictures



The first week of the year, I had students write a 6 word memoir--a 6 word statement that defines them. I printed out their pictures and strung up their memoirs with the pictures around the room. They loved looking at their classmates' pictures.
 
6. Random artwork from home


I had this cool graffiti collage lying around my house and thought, "Why not put this up?" I tied it into English somehow. Kids enjoyed looking at the pictures before class started. It doesn't have much to do with English, but it gave my room a personal flare. Do you have any random artwork lying around your house?

7. Pun whiteboard


(I just found this picture online. It's not really a pun...but you get the idea.)

I'd recommend having a "pun of the week" instead of a "pun of the day." Less work. Just make sure you establish at the beginning of the year that kids cannot write their own puns on the board. Rookie mistake on my part.

8. Teacher's mailbox


This is not my mailbox, but I put mine together easily with cardboard, tape, and paint.

Next to the mailbox, put a list of what students may submit so they know how it is used. Some ideas: notes about books they are reading, classroom suggestions, asking for help with a concept, suggestions for a writing prompt, puns for the pun board, etc. The younger grades especially love writing little notes to you--especially if you write something back.

9. The Smarty Pants


(I sincerely apologize for the blurriness of this photo. It's the only one I have.)

When students get a hundred percent, they get the honor of signing the "smarty pants." I just bought them at a thrift store and tie dyed them myself. Fun, cheap project that lends to a memorable decoration. Plus, these pants are great to auction off at the end of the year if you use some sort of points system.

10. Student Work


Probably the most important "decoration" to have is a place where you can show off stellar student work. The kids feel special, and they have great models to look at.

It's extra fun to hang up student artistic projects, but don't forget to cut up model sentences from essays. Lines that really "wow-ed."

Bonus randomness from my classroom:


Yep, that's a minion on a broomstick. My kids knew I loved minions and Harry Potter, so it just added personality to the room.

Please share your favorite low-key decorations in the comments!

Comments